Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Girls

I'm not sure you're supposed to say this outloud but I was really hoping I'd have a girl. Ashley was hoping I'd have a girl as well. In fact, you may have heard that she cried in the sonogram room. Then in the waiting room. Then at the bakery. Then on and off most of the day when anyone asked what we were having. I think she was as suprised as me to be THAT disappointed. I really had convinced myself that I honestly didn't care. Who knows. It may have had something to do with her disappointment. It may have had something to do with all of my friends & sister having girls around me and dressing them in THE cutest clothes on the planet that would have been great hand-me-downs on my little one.

After a few days of my closet disappointment, I, of course, started bonding with the little guy in there. One friend pointed out to Ashley & me, that boy diapers are so much easier to clean than girl diapers. Another friend pointed out how fun it will be to be some poor girl's scary mother-in-law and constantly reminding her she's not good enough for my son. I started daydreaming about a rough and tough little boy and how, before Derrek (and Ashley), I always wanted a boy first. And he's gonna be a mama's boy. It helped a little when I got online and started looking at little boy clothes and, it just so happens, there are some CUUUUUUUUUUuutte boy clothes. My favorite right now are these little bamboo coveralls: http://www.kickypants.com/shop/pc/PCMXviewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=66. Cassell also bought the little guy these coveralls in red: http://www.knuckleheadsclothing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=111. (Luckily you get those two things at Beulahs - the shop next door to Root.) I also am excited now about collecting these: http://www.uglydolls.com/. Of course, those would never be okay for a sweet, little girl, but they are perfect for my tough, little guy.

WAIT! I'm really off-topic. I'm talking about my girls. "My girls" being, Ashley and our spoiled little mutt dog, Rosie. Now, I know that Ashley and Rosie are NOT equals in any way. Rosie is a dog and I DO know that. Derrek may try to make you think I don't know that but I do! I'm just saying that with Ashley, I have a wonderful, girly-girl relationship. We can paint each others nails and shop and talk about Derrek and roll our eyes behind his back and watch chick flicks and share a flat iron. We can cuddle and giggle and have long talks and just be girls. She understands me when I'm crying and she knows what to do without saying a word. I'm pretty sure I'll always have that with her. I mean, we're only in the pre-teen years and adolescence could ruin it all but I just have a feeling, she'll survive it with flying colors. With Rosie, I get to feel that feeling of being someone's/something's "mommy". She relies on me for everything. She gets excited to see me. She's sad to see me go. She knows I know what she's thinking just by a certain wag of the tail or a look she gives me. In her world, I could never be replaced. I know I'll probably feel this soon from an actual human but I think Rosie's "girlness" actually plays a role. She, also likes to wear cute clothes and she likes to have her hair brushed. She feels better about herself after a bath. She pouts and she's moody. She's one of my girls, no doubt. Anyway, I've got some GREAT girls in my life and looking at these pictures solidifies the fact that I don't NEED another one...this go-round at least! So, in honor of my girls, I thought I'd post some of my favorite pics of each of them. (Notice there are more of Ashley, just to point out how UNequal they are.) They are in no particular order (mostly because I have no idea how to do that yet).



This is one of the few pictures I have of them together. Every night Rosie sleeps with Derrek and me but every night that the kids are home, Rosie begs and begs and begs (or jumps and jumps and jumps) until we lift her up into Ashley loft bed and she snuggles up tight. Unless she has to go to the bathroom or gets hungry, we literally have to pry her lean, muscley body from Ashley's bed when we go to sleep. Seriously, she'll climb as far to the wall as possible where we can't reach and once we grab hold she'll use any appendage that's free to cling to Ashley's legs or the covers.





Right after a muddy calf scramble at the Peach Jamboree two summers ago.

Right before our wedding!
Cozy with me in the morning.
Steering the fishing boat in Port Aransas...
Holding Rance (she loves babies!)



With her cousins, Sam & Alice
A modeling picture from Beulah's...
Being cozy again...she's a slightly lazy dog.
She's also very curious...
This is what she looks like when I get home every day...






At the beach
Field Day at school...she's gonna be a track star!
Chillin in the backseat on a roadtrip (not the Fredericksburg kind!) to San Marcos ... Father's Day at a Kenny Chesney concert...
This is right after she found out she was going to be a big sister again...I can't wait!

1 comment:

Cassell said...

Great post! So incredibly sweet!