Saturday, November 1, 2008

Cash & His Great-Grandmother

He's not one day old because he's not here yet. I'm not sure why he's decided to be a little stubborn but that's okay. My grandmother passed away two nights ago (October 30) and I like to think the two of them are having a little pow-wow before he gets here. I hope she's passing on her 94 years of grace and wisdom. My grandmother was easily the most magnificent woman I know and may ever know. Her faith was steady and her patience was infinite. She was a simple woman and as I get older and reflect on her life, I realize we all need more simplicity in our life these days. I'm so blessed that she was my grandmother and I'm sad that my children will not know her. I pray I can pass on some of her to them anyway.

I thank the Lord that Grandmother doesn't have any pain anymore. Just a week ago, we moved her to a nursing home but, until then, she lived very independently and in really great health (considering she was 94). I don't have a memory of Grandmother being frail or even a little bit not "with it". She was easy to talk to and sharp as a tack and I can't really imagine her going on any differently.

I also hope Cash can hold on just a couple more days so my mom can be here after saying good-bye to her mother. The circle of life is definitely going to be bittersweet this week...as it always is.
Grandmother and her girls at my wedding.


1 comment:

Seana said...

Jordan, I am so sorry for your loss. Your description of your grandmother is just like my grandmother, and I too so wish that my children could have met her. I try to think that if I tell my kids stories about her, in some way she does live on for them. The thought of Cash holding off so that he can get in some time with his great grandma is a wonderful way of looking at it and really I'm not so sure you're not completely right on with that. I'll be thinking about you during this bittersweet time for you. I look forward to seeing pics of baby Cash on your blog! Yay, you're going to join the club of motherhood any day now! It's a good club to be in.