Thursday, July 30, 2009

We'll Miss You, Ringo!

Last week we lost a member of the family. It was traumatic for all of us but mostly for me because I was driving the car that killed him. It was just me and Cash in the car so the kids didn't see it. He actually walked away from the accident but the internal damage was too severe so we had to put him down. It was a very hard good-bye for me. Let me say, too, that Derrek was so wonderful that day. I'm a basketcase when it comes to saying any sort of good-bye and, even though Derrek was emotional as well, he walked me through the whole thing. He left work immediately to help get Ringo some help, make the hard decision, say our good-byes, hold him as he took his last breath, hold me after that, dig his grave and put stones on top of it and tell the kids. I really don't know how I would have made it through the day without him. Those are the moments you understand why God matched you with a guy that can't get his socks to the dirty clothes. Ever.

Ringo was such a loving dog. He was completely devoted to every member of this family. He always wanted to be a lap dog but didn't complain or get mad at us that he wasn't. Since we moved out to the Penick's he's smelled like a skunk about 85% of the time. He had a fat butt, a good heart and a penchant for chasing raindrops. I miss the comfort of him sleeping right outside the door to protect us. I miss his smelly snuggles. I miss his incessant licking. I miss the smile on his face. I miss him every morning when he used to greet me after he slept under my car for the night and I'll always wonder why he stayed there that Tuesday morning.

Here's how we said good-bye...




(no idea why this picture is turned!)





No comments: