Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hugelland

So, Hugelland means Hill Country in German. Uh, I think? That was the name of Ashley's volleyball club and her 12 and under team consisted of some great girls from different schools in Fredericksburg (we have 3 private schools here). She made some new friends and learned A LOT about volleyball. They only played (practiced or went to a tournament) once a week starting in December. Meeting only once a week for two-hour practice didn't allow much time to work on fundamentals but they really got a handle on the importance of teamwork and wearing matching socks. Seriously, they really did come so far from the first game. Volleyball is a complicated game and they had to quickly learn the different positions and scoring. They also had a chance to experience those moments of knowing they weren't the best team but realizing that working hard and working together actually gave them a shot at winning some games.

I hope she plays again next year. She was one of the first to pick up the rotations and confusing logistics they were introduced to them after the first couple of games. She even hurt her wrist mid-season and stayed at the tournament any way to support the team. It excites me to see her soaking up every aspect of the game, including bonding with her team.

I am ashamed I never got a team picture!!! No one did! We're a horrible group of team parents but I'll have some next year. I did, however, get pictures. Some show a couple of Cash and Blake being awesome little brothers and acting so sweet at these cramped, loud-whistling, high-pitched-preteen-screaming all-day tournaments.

These pictures are very random and out of order, but I'm finally blogging and I'm doing it in a hurry so this will do!







No comments: