Sunday, October 5, 2008

Childbirth Class

Uh, yeah. I've been trying to avoid the whole subject of "childbirth" since I got pregnant. I know there are many other women that are scared but I've been determined to stay in denial. I mean, he's got to come out somehow right? Well, of course, I was encouraged by my doctor and friends and family to attend. Derrek was sooooooooo excited about it...riiiiiiight. Our first class was on Saturday and, well, we survived! I just really didnt' want to watch alot of videos or see pictures of the actual birth of children. I'm a freak, I know. Just, ever since we had to watch that video in our 9th grade health class, I get the idea. Of course, we did watch videos and they showed a few women laboring while their husbands loved on them and massaged them and talked sweetly to them. They just would breath and sometimes moan (Derrek and I were both a little freaked out with the moaning) and rock and walk and lay in bath tubs and sit on balls. The videos did freak me out a little bit more but I'm socking those memories away like I did in 9th grade. But, all in all, it was a good experience and I know being educated is always the best plan. The one thing I know, and a thought I've tried to avoid as well, is that anything can happen during labor and childbirth and it's best to be prepared.

Derrek had to leave a little early to take Blake to his soccer game and I was left alone for the breathing techniques portion of the class. I do plan on having an epidural but, again, anything can happen so I was all ears and paying close attention. I'm also kind of dorky when it comes to being a student or being coached. She had us do an exercise to test the breathing techniques. We had to do wall sits (where you lean against a wall with your knees at a 90 degree angle) and use the breathing techniques to get us through the pain. We did it three times. The first two times, the coaches/husbands did the wall sits as well and tried out the breathing. Then the third time, all the pregos did the wall sits and the coaches coached. I was missing a coach but very determined to check out the truth to these techniques. In other words, I was focused. Oh, and I had women on either side of me that had decided they do not want epidurals. They are going all natural. I think that is awesome so don't get me wrong when I say, uh, good luck! Maybe, I'm being all Braggy von Braggenstein (totally borrowed from my friend Jenn) but I was the only prego that didn't give up on the last wall sit!!! The breathing stuff works. Did I want to pass out when it was over? Yes. Did my thighs burn more than they've burned in about 10 years (since high school athletics)? Yes. The instructor was impressed and questioned my decision for drugs. I still want them but I feel great & a little empowered now that I can get this done no matter what. Now, I can't talk about it anymore. I won't sleep tonight.

No comments: