Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

This post is going to come out so cheesy but I'm cheesy today. Cheesy start to the new year. Whatever. My life is near perfect right now and I’m so blessed to have my family.
For the last week we’ve been able to see the kids quite a bit even though they are technically with their mom. On Sunday, Derrek’s uncle Jimmy took the whole family to the Rockbox. She let the kids come with us and it was so fun. It’s great music and a relaxed atmosphere. The show is great but the warm cookies at the intermission may be the best part for me. Then they got to stay with us a couple of hours while Gayla went to work. When she came to pick them up that day we offered to help her out the rest of the week too because Derrek was taking the week off.
The picture below is the only picture we got of the day. Cash and I had a great time at the Rockbox and luckily he slept most of the time!
So on Tuesday, they met us at the bakery and showed Pappaw how to play games on the iPod Touch (I got one with my birthday money). I think we should get Pappaw one of his own…I’m sure solitaire on the computer is getting a little old by now. Then after lunch with Pappaw, we went to Derrek’s office/workshop, so I could get some work done and Derrek could make a little tray for Cash’s changing table pad. The kids entertained Cash for me. Click here and here



That night, I got some quiet time in with my babies. Rosie has been a little neglected as you can imagine so hopefully times like these give her some comfort.



And Cash FINALLY found his thumb. It's probably not a good thing at all but he's been trying for about a week and a half now and it's just so cute!



So Wednesday, Ashley & Blake's mom had big plans for New Year’s in Austin so Wednesday morning the kids came over for the night. I had to work a little but they hung out with Derrek all day. They had a full day of running around for a job of Derrek’s, meeting a donkey named Gretchen, singing to their new mp3 players (click here - its a little long but pretty funny) and playing games on the iPod.


Cash & I had some fun of our own at work with Cash's new girlfriend (actually, I think she's double-timing him with Wolfgang), Gracie. She's 5 months old and beautiful and very friendly. You can see Cash is in love.






When I got home, we all decided we wanted to have a picnic (the kids favorite meal - derrek cuts up summer sausage and cheese. We have pickles and crackers and turkey and salami. It's awesome) and watch some movies while we waited for the ball to drop. So, we all packed up and went to the grocery store and Blockbuster. At home, we snuggled in our pajamas and sat down to our picnic. As we sang the prayer song we sing before we eat, I thanked God for such a perfect night. The kids were happy and sharing with us and acting goofy and singing fun songs and dancing on the table. The best part is they were both just as happy to be there with us as we were to be with them. I know that our family NYE's are destined to come to an end so I'm going to soak it up. We missed the ball dropping because we were too into the movie but it really didn’t matter. We were together and cozy and safe and healthy and happy.

2008 was such an exciting year. I got to experience the incredible adventure of being pregnant and giving birth to a healthy baby. He has already developed such a personality and I can't really remember life before him! Derrek donated a kidney to Chris. It was emotional and beautiful and brought us all so much closer. It still amazes me how brave he was and how he went for it with no reservations - never thinking about himself. Ashley has made excellent choices and made better grades in middle school. She's made NICE, new friends and become even more comfortable with herself (a near impossible task at her age). Blake has flourished in kindergarten and he's more outgoing and lives to learn. I don't know how t could have been a better year. I'm so blessed.

In 2009, we pray for the kids to keep on the same path and to stay healthy. We pray work will be steady for Derrek and things might pick up at Root. And we pray we can move our (hopefully still) growing family into a bigger house.

New Year’s Day was the first morning Cash woke up and just talked and played in his bassinett until I felt like getting up to get him. When I walked up to him, he gave me the biggest grin and I knew 2009 was off to the right start.

2 comments:

The Rodriguez Crew said...

well if we're talking about what we're jealous of, let's talk about your perfect bangs that I didn't even know about, and your perfectly already skinny body after having perfect Cash, who by the way I am in love with especially after seeing those movies - are you kidding me? He looks JUST like you to me already!! Those smiles and coos are to DIE for.

so the camera ... is matt's old canon rebel. it has a crazy big lens on it so i'm sure that helps me seem like a good photographer, but really I have to take about 40 pictures to get 1 good one. :) and picassa's editing program is the BEST. and it's FREE.

there you have it ... we're even.

Cassell said...

That Pour Some Sugar On Me video is awesome! Had me laughing out loud. I can't wait until you replay it at his high school graduation or wedding!